Monday, March 10, 2014

My Happiness Project – February Month End Update

As the month of February ended, I remained ever committed to finishing my project.  I kept the names of each person in a Word document separated by months and numbered by days.  Recently, I discovered that I am somewhat of an over-achiever in that I have already started filling the month of April with names.

It’s interesting to note that I have heard back from approximately 50% of the people I sent notes to by the end of February.  There were a couple of funny stories that went along with a few of the people I acknowledged.  One person became concerned that since it was only my name that appeared on the thank you. He wondered if I had somehow ended the relationship with my fiancé.  Another person responded with condolences thinking that I was dying of cancer and wanted to make amends before it was too late.  While I find the responses amusing, it also tells me how unaccustomed people are to receiving sincere forms of gratitude.

Two people whom I had chosen to acknowledge involved strained relationships.  Both of their responses however, will keep me motivated and inspired to finish the journey.  This Simple Act of Gratitude really does heal wounds and builds bridges.  It was amazing and completely unexpected to hear from both them.  One of them shared how deeply touched he was by my note and the fact that I took the time to hand write it.  I had not spoken to the other person in over six years and I had left no contact information, yet she went out of her way to reach out to me.  It was a tearful event for me – hearing her voice after all that time had passed.

My personal experience of this journey so far can best be described as energizing and exhilarating.  Quoting the famous Zig Ziglar –
“The healthiest of human emotions is Gratitude!”  
I totally get that – it does feel healthy to continue to do this every single day…and so my journey continues.

For more information on how to use these and other practices to enhance your life, please contact me at info@crossthefinishlinecoaching.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment